[Trac] Multiple Projects with Postgres

Russ Brown pickscrape at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 15:07:12 CST 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:20:05 -0600, Jeff Weiss <trac at jeffweiss.org> wrote:

> So the scenario is:
>
> x projects.  Same users.  Each user has the same set of permissions
> for each project.
>
> As far as I know, there's nothing available in the stock version of
> Trac to help automate that, other than apache configurations pointing
> to the same authentication source, but that still doesn't solve your
> authorization/permission issue.
> While creating a "master" project may work in the current setup, my
> concern is that it might not provide you an easy upgrade path if the
> Trac database schema changes.
> Assuming you want the exact same set of permissions for all projects
> (not the situation where project B has a superset of the permissions
> of project A), you could theoretically modify the Trac code to get all
> the permissions from the same database (see
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/queries-table-expressions.html#QUERIES-FROM),
> but this would be Postgres dependant and even less upgradable.

Is there any way that you can tell trac to use a particular schema when
accessing the database? If that is possible, then you could host all trac
instances in the same database in difference schemas, and have a further
schema specifically for the common user data. They you just need to add
views in the instance schemas to the user schema for the user tables. If
they need to be writable you'd need to add rules too to make this
possible, but that's not impossible.

Of course, this presents the same upgrade problems, but it's a possible
approach (and if specifying the schema is possible it makes it easier to
add bespoke database systems that reference the trac database).

--

Russ